Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Monday, November 16, 2009

Applesauce

I have always said, I don't like the color orange. But nature does orange to perfection. From flowers to fruit, nature does it best.
When I was growing up, one of my favorite things for breakfast was my Grandmother's applesauce. I believe that I am responsible for the applesauce shortage at her house. I know that I cleaned out her stock of apple butter. So as a tribute to my GM's recipe.....
This is my applesauce tutorial. Start with a goodly amount of apples. I used both reds and greens. Peel and core them.
I washed them at this point, to make sure there wasn't any bits sticking around. Then I diced them into 1/2 inch cubes.
Add 1/4 cup of apple juice, or water. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Place in microwave and cook for about 10 minutes on high. You may have to cook longer. You want the apples to be soft, not rubbery.
When they are cooked, add some seasoning. I started with about 5 cups of diced apples. I added 1/2 ts cinnamon and 1/4 cup of brown sugar. You don't have to add any sweetener. Suit to taste. You can use white sugar, sugar substitute or even honey.
Mash with a potato masher for the chunky homemade look, or food process for a smoother sauce.
All done, doesn't it look good?
Even PugsLee would rather eat applesauce than dog food. Dogs love apple.
I hope you enjoy!
Take care, Brandie