Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Monday, July 2, 2012

Garden Finds

 I have mentioned before that Paradise is a very rural area. We are not your customary town with matching houses in matching neighborhoods. We are a unique community.
Our home is on a (depending on how you look at it) small acre lot. That back acre doesn't get much use, from us, but the wildlife loves it.
We have seen a family of foxes, smelled skunks, seen several deer and a gaze of raccoons.
Apparently there are more families we didn't know of.

Friday evening Hubby and I where out in the back. We both had been hearing this small noise most of the day. With all the bird babies everywhere, we assumed that's what we had been hearing. As darkness fell, we readied ourselves for bed. We could still hear the noise and Hubby went out to investigate.
This is what he found.
 An abandoned kitten.
 It's eyes aren't even open. According to the internets, kittens eyes open 7 to 10 days after birth.
After reading up on how to care for it, because we couldn't leave it outside to fend for it's self on a mild night of 58 degrees.
I found a recipe using goats milk to feed it, and feed it did!
It's a ravenous little thing! So cute and tiny. The force is quite strong in this one.

It has been 3 nights of feeding every 3-4 hours. I'm a little tired, but I also feel pretty good about saving this little tike. He has started to purr and that I think that's a good sign and it warms my heart.

Of course I know better than to get too attached because these situations don't always come out as expected.

The garden fence has been put on hold as I work around kitten feedings.

I'll keep you posted as I find time.

Take care, Brandie

14 comments:

Carrie P. said...

oh, poor thing. glad you found it. it is sweet that he is purring.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you found and are taking care of it. Poor little thing.

Jodie said...

Oh My - That kitten is so tiny!!! Thank goodness you found it...

Jodie :)

paulette said...

Such a sweet thing!! Boy did he come to right household!! I'm so happy that you found him and took him in! I'm cheering for him!!
P

M and M plus 3 said...

Now how sweet is that! Your a good new Momma getting up at all hours to feed again. Keep us updated about the lil thing.

Miriam said...

I'm glad you found that little kitten. I hope he makes it.

Heather said...

oh my, so tiny and sweet. My son saved a kitten that was born at a Lowe's and living there. He doesn't even like cats but that one pulled at his heartstrings.

Library Gal Quilts said...

oh my gosh Brandie! That is so amazing! My husband found a little kitten about that size on the side of the road and we did the same thing. feed. feed. feed. She lived over 17 years!! good luck Momma!

Jean(ie) said...

Sweet kitty. I hope kitty makes it.

M and M plus 3 said...

How's that baby sitting going???

Lori said...

Nothing like a sweet garden find! How's the little thing doing?

Sinta Renee said...

What a precious little kitty. I rescued a little one like that once and found it a good home. She grew up to be beautiful... but still has a thing for kneading.

Donna said...

I have been checking your website everyday since I found your blog. My husband and I are anxiously waiting for updates on the kitty!!! Please post something soon!

Robin said...

OMG, I just saw this and I'm so PROUD OF YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!! Animal Rescuer!!