Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

I'm a Cannibal

In the last couple of weeks, I've been visiting thrift shops. Why? So that I can buy purse hardware. Oh you did know that they sold that kind of stuff there? Well they do, you just have to work for it. How? By buying old bags and stealing their great handles, buckles or even pockets.
Unfortunately, I forgot to take pictures of the old ugly bags before I tore them up. But in the pic below, you can see the before...
And now, finally, the after. The original bag was quite ugly, but I wanted brown handles. The bonus is the pocket.
The back side (hehehehe).
My improvised bowling bag shape and those handles.
I learned a new way to make a zipper look nice. Zippers are one of the hardest things to put in. This was so much easier and it even makes one of my Grandmother's casts offs, look good.
Pocket pouches on the other side.
Perfect size for my uses and I had to use this wool. I saw it in "that" chain, and I had to have what was left. Love it! It may be more fall or wintery than spring, but I have a couple more months to use it.
So new handles ($4) and a great piece of wool. Now I have another unique bag that I love. (Now I need a new pair of shoes to match!)
Take care, Brandie

7 comments:

Diane H said...

Fantastic bag, Brandie. Can't wait to get to the Thrift Store to check out the 'hardware' - another 'why didn't I think of that idea'.

ranette said...

Ingenious! A very cool bag too...Love it!

Susan In Texas said...

What a lovely bag! I really like what you've done with the outside pocket, very nice. And you're recycling too, very green. 8)

Happy stitching,
Susan in Texas

Linda said...

You're so smart. That is such a cool idea! I love the look!! Bowler bags are some of my favorite styles.

Chocolate Cat said...

I am super impressed!

Lori said...

I would have never thought to take apart ugly purses and make them new again! Great work brandie!!

debbie m said...

Wow! That is an awesome bag! You amaze me with your creativity and ingenuity (sp)!