Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Friday, February 25, 2011

A Brief Piping Lesson

Today I'm going to show you how easy piping can be. It can be fun and give almost everything a special touch.
First off... Cut some bias strips. Giving yourself at least 1/2 half on either side of the piping. Sew the strips together.
Attach your zipper foot. Line up the fabric with the piping in the middle. Making sure the fabric is equal on both sides.
Zip it all together till you get to the end.
You may need to trim the piping to a quarter inch.
Next line the piping up on your project, leaving a 1/2 inch tail at the beginning. If you have corners, clip around them, like in the picture.
At the end, you will need to attach the ends. Stop when you get close. It'll be much closer than when you do binding. I'm talking 2 inches or less.
Now you are going to open up the seam and clip the piping to butt up to each other. Than fold the end of the fabric back so you will have no raw edges.
Than sew over the beginning and end, just like this.
Now you're all done. And you should have a piping edge around your entire project.

Remember that butterfly? I've now turned it into a cute little case...
for a Kindle. How cute is that? My first prototype.
Well Gail, what do you think?

By the way, it's an official snow day in Paradise. The schools are closed and even the quilt shop. We all woke up to a winter wonderland. This is proper snow, not that woosy snow from before. But hopefully it too will go away... today!
Have a wonderful weekend.
Take care, Brandie

5 comments:

Linda said...

I've always been terrified of piping. Now, it doesn't look so hard after all. Thanks for that great tutorial!! I will refer to it! Perfect for the Kindle. That was a great idea!!

Lori said...

I'm not Gail, but I think it's fabulous!

ranette said...

Really good piping tutorial. I've made lots of piping through the years, but I go years in-between, so I will refer to your instructions! Thank you!

Oh and I love the Kindle case too. Do you like your Kindle? I LOVE mine!

Anonymous said...

That is adorable!

Carrie P. said...

It is great and thanks for the tips especially the photos with the clipped curves. Now why didn't I think of that?