Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Pleats of cake

Here they are, one layer of un-ironed pleats. This is the top of the skirt. The next layer will be the same fabric as the bodice. Than followed by another row of small pleats. These last pleats will work as a dust ruffle, because those dresses float along the ground. In those days it was un-ladylike to show wrists, ankles or much skin.
It take a descent picture, Antoinette tucked the bodice into the skirt. I rather like it this way too. Hubby thinks it looks like a old-maid school teacher but that is kind of the look.
I've been thinking and doing this dress for too long. It is taking up all my thoughts. So I had to do something else. And I had to see another color. So I sat down and sketched out a butterfly on tissue paper (it's easier to draw on tissue paper than your fabric). Layered it up on some batting and interfacing .

And just went to town.
After you have most of your picture quilted, remove the tissue paper. I use an old set of tweezers to remove the pieces.
When you're all done you may have to wash it under running water to remove the small pieces. And you May not even get in all out than. If you look on the right wing, you'll see what looks to be white thread, that's still the tissue paper in the stitches. So I need to run it back under the water.
Later I'll reveal what these is for. I'm still trying to make it work...
Take care, Brandie

2 comments:

Linda said...

Dress is gorgeous! I like the top tucked in too. Wow what a butterfly! Turned out so beautiful. You obviously can draw!!

Sammy said...

This is beautiful. I love the butterfly.