Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Monday, February 7, 2011

The Big Project

The time has come. I have eluded to my big project and now is the time to share with all of you. The project was so big... that I actually had my machine professionally cleaned and oiled. I really should have taken a before pic, but that might have grossed you all out or worst, you might have taken my machine away for mistreating it.
This is the cleanest I've ever seen this machine, since I bought it, 4 years ago. Gail, what do you think? Cleanest you've ever seen?

So this project will be using these fabric. And these shiny chocolate buttons. Remember when I told you all about our town celebrating "Gold Nugget Days"? Well my "Queen" finally called me back. Over a month ago, I had meet and gone with her to a history seminar and I haven't heard back from her. I was starting to feel like I was dumped! I was so disappointed! I keep telling myself that if she didn't call back, that it was for the best and that I didn't need to start a new project.
Then she called. After I got off the phone with her, I jumped for joy! I was and to this date, still excited. Of course there is a counter to my excitement. I may never see any money for this. Why? Because I'm no negotiator. I stupidly said I was so excited, I'd do it for free. Yeah, I said it. This was why I wasn't aloud to speak when my Daughter bought her car and when my Husband bought mine. I can't play poker either, not that I know how. Or lie or surprise anyone. But I'm willing to live with that and be poor... So on with the dress.
My "Queen" is now ready to be robed. We looked all over and this repo civil war fabric will be the focus of her dress. The chocolate brown will be the accent, any where we can add it.
Since this needs to be as authentic as possible, we ordered a pattern made from historical clothes. I have to say, so far, I hate dropped shoulders. I love our modern seams right on top of the shoulder. These seams are being a little difficult!
This is the jacket(?). There are to be detachable sleeves that fit into these "Pagoda" sleeves.
The 8 yard skirt. That doesn't count the petticoat or the hoop. Yeah, 8 yards! I hope my Queen can carry all this extra weight around. These girls have no idea! They did rule out corsets, so at least the girls will be able to breath.
Yesterday, Hubby and I took a little field trip to an old cemetery. We knew that we could take some great pics of surrounding flora and fauna. What we didn't knew is this local history.
This happened around the same time as our "Gold Nugget Days". We had no idea that this area had Indian attacks. Click the pic to read the story.
Hard to fathom such a thing. It was quite moving. There were even a couple of placards of "Unknown". One placard said "Unknown Male Decorative Casket". Did they dig a hole and find this decorative casket? Or is that how they buried him? Something we will never know...

Take a look at this. This is more inherited lace. I love finding lost boxes of goodies! Do you see the price of that lace? That's 4 yards for .37 cents! Those must have been the days!
Oh, do you want to see what I did with it?
Bloomers, or long underwear.
I just layered the ribbon and lace and made my own fancy trim. I also added tucks and starched the ---- out of it!

As the week goes on, I'll have more to show you. But don't get too excited, because I'm just working with an old sheet till we get the bodice fit just perfectly.
Till tomorrow...
Take care, Brandie

4 comments:

Lori said...

Brandie, I am cracking up that your family tells you to be silent. Free?! The "queen" shouldn't even accept that price! it does look like a fun project though.

Linda said...

Your machine is too clean, I think! LOL! Looks like such a cool project!!

Anita said...

Oooo, exciting! You're going to take pictures and blog the the whole process right?? I just love period clothing, too fun! (You're plum off your knocker to be saying you'd do it for free. You should go back and re-negotiate that with a "ha ha, you know I was kidding right?")

Library Gal Quilts said...

Brandie, I am so excited to see the dress in person during the parade!! So fun!! And i agree with Anita, re-negotiate...and talk to Jodie at Morning Star about all of her sewing for Gold Nugget Days! Goodness you are brave!