Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Friday, January 21, 2011

Quilty Finishes

So all that time before the machine has produced a couple of finishes. In fact I finished up the baby quilt around lunch time yesterday. There was a lot of stitching in the ditch. There were a lot of those flying geese!
Click to make bigger, if you want.
I ended up adding more "ghost" leaves to the tree and grass around the trunk. In the other blocks, I put grass under the the elephant and the giraffe and a big puddle under the hippo. It ain't perfect, but I'm happy. Hopefully children will love looking at it, besides cuddling under it.

I've also made more coasters. ( I was on a quilting kick and couldn't be stopped) I really liked my pumpkin coasters and have missed the log cabins coasters. But both of those were for the wrong seasons. So when one of my small group ladies, Hey Millie, showed up with a new idea, I was all over it. Millie had made a beautiful table runner with giant flowers, hibiscus I think. She had some leftover fabric and made coasters. She totally made my pumpkins look childish and pathetic. Her coasters were just gorgeous and I told her so and I also told her I would be stealing her idea as soon as I got home. So I did and this is what I came up with.
Valentine coasters! I may need to find better flowers. Pink doesn't exactly match my living room or any room in my house, but you get the idea.
Great way to practice thread play. Give it a try girls.
Also have any of you read Kim's blog? She has been tempting me with all her Valentine hearts. She has a couple of really cute ideas on Valentine quilts and table runners.
She inspired me to make my own Valentine. I got out an old hanky and layered it on a red chiffon fabric and just quilted it up.
I double stuffed the heart, trapunto style. What do you think? I was going for an antique Valentine look. Now to find the perfect place to put it, away from the men in this house!
Have a wonderful weekend!
Take care, Brandie

7 comments:

Library Gal Quilts said...

This is just adorable Brandie! What kind of thread are you using? xo Pam

Linda said...

You did such a beautiful job quilting the baby quilt! I love the leaves! Coasters are so pretty. The thread work really makes them come to life! The trapunto heart is just gorgeous with all the quilting! Brandie, I love it ALL!!

Carrie P. said...

sweet baby quilt
Love those rose coasters. pretty neat idea.
Great way to use a vintage hankie too. Off to check the link.

Lori said...

The animal quilt is perfect!! It will be loved I'm sure.
You are really getting crafty!! So much goodness going on at your house.

Diane H said...

The quilt is terrific and sure to be loved! Wow, you certainly got your mo-jo back, love the coasters and the heart mat.

Lee said...

Great work Brandie! I love the baby quilt - adorable and the extra leaves were a great touch. I checked out Kim's blog and she has some great ideas. Thanks! p.s got the thangles to make for the triangle exchange! excited-really cool idea. btw -i loved your pumpkin coasters :)

Wilma Lee said...

Coasters are a good way for me to use all of those large prints I have.