Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Hugs and Kisses

 Yesterday I had a great helper in the sewing room. Whenever I couldn't find my marking pen, I only had to find Dorian and there it was. Isn't he sweet!
 What was he helping me with? My cousins wedding quilt. I've procrastinated for over a month on this quilt. Shame on me because it only took me a day to finish it up!
Why did I procrastinate? All because I was too lazy to move the stuff off my sewing table. Really!
And I guess part of that was not knowing how to finish it up. Remember I had my friend Longarm Jo quilt the middle? Well she did. That left me with the borders. I figured I could handle that.
When we first started the quilting we talked about feathers in that big border or even quilting around the designs in the fabric.
The only thing I did figure out is that feathers would hide the beautiful fabric. So I procrastinated.
Then I thought about following the fabric, but I realized, I'm just too lazy.
So I quilted straight lines. Easy-peasy and it doesn't distracted from the beautiful border fabric.
 I tried to take a picture (again) of the quilting, but it just doesn't want to show itself proudly. But just so you know it's a beautiful tulip panto.
 I'm really happy with the way this quilt turn out. This was a stretch for me.
1. It's in blues, which I don't have in my stash. Thank goodness I have wonderful quilting friends because over half this  fabric came from their scrap piles. And that backing was 2 large pieces given to another friend. Perfect for the backing!
2. I'm a matchy sort of person. I'm the kind of girl who matches her underwear to the clothes (sorry TMI). This quilt used so many colors and so many patterns! But I figured that the smaller the pieces the less they would show. I think they all get along great now, don't you?

But I had to do this for my cousin. If anyone deserves some payback, she does. And hopefully this makes up for any wrongs I've caused her over the years.

Even though this is just a snowballed nine-patch, I've re-named it "Hugs and Kisses". It sounds so much better than glorified nine-patch, don't you think?
 Here are a couple of pictures of that fur ball, since I left you without for the last two days.
Every nap has a new place. One morning nap is laying against the turtle tank. The next nap could be under my sewing machine. We never really know where we'll find him.
Nope, he's still not eating solid food! I'm hopeful that today may be the day.
I have a guild meeting tonight and I would like to go. It's been awhile since I've been out of the house.


Ok, I'm done rambling. Have fun at your machines! I'll be checking on you.
Take care, Brandie

6 comments:

Linda said...

Quilt turned out absolutely beautiful!!!! It is nice to have such cute help! :-)

stephmabry said...

I might have to have your address...

So I can come to your house and steal your kitty. I love him lots! :)

Teri said...

I love the quilt.....I'm just finishing one for a wedding gift also....it has to be done by August 18th and I have 11/2 borders left to do....as usual down to the wire....I will get it done.....I will get it done....I will get it done....LOL

jirons42 said...

Sometimes the simplest patterns make the most beautiful quilts. Yours looks beautiful!

Lori said...

Nice job on the finish! Blue and white scrappy is so classic! The quilting looks perfect for it!!

I haven't mentioned it in every post, but I'm enjoying the antics of Dorian!!

Lynette said...

That's a very beautiful scrappy quilt! Yes, they play VERY NICELY together. :D The tulip panto is pretty - I hadn't seen it before. Your cousin will surely *love* this gift. :)