Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Monday, October 29, 2012

Wicked Webs

It all started with one. Then another.
Until I had half the blocks covered in webs.
Don't they look cool?! I love the orange thread on black. I'm using a "Connecting Threads" thread. It's a bit like a "King Tut" from Superior.
I like them for quilting. But, I don't like that I don't know a color or a number after I unwrap the thread. So if I run out, I'm going to have to guess at which orange I'm using.
I'm still trying to decide if I should use black thread over the star blocks or continue in orange. I'm going to have to try one and see what it looks like and be prepared to un-sew.
All the webs are different. Some are only half completed because of a moon or a leaf in it's way. But I'm really happy with the way it has turned out so far. Maybe because it's whimsical and not so stuffy?

I also did a new thing. I dyed my backing. Yup, I dyed it.
Last year? Or maybe the year before, I bought 2 king sized sheet sets from a discount store.
Really, who could pass up orange pok-a-dots from Ralph Lauren? Not me, that's for sure! They just were too big for my bed. But I wasn't going to let them go to waste.
They were only $15 per set. How much would that much fabric cost? I knew that I could use them as fabric and maybe a backing (or two).
Except that these dots were a little bright for this current Halloween quilt.
This picture doesn't have a huge contrast but you can see that the side (left) that Max is laying on, is a brighter orange. The right side is the same fabric after a bath with Taupe Rit dye.
I learned this from Barb. Barb has been a fountain of information.
You know those letters I put on my Jubilee quilt? That idea came from her too!
I'm often lurking and learning from her blog.
If you haven't already, go check out her blog, she's wonderful and sew creative!

Back to my webs!
Take care, Brandie

7 comments:

Heather said...

I just love those quilted webs and what a great idea to dye the sheets!

Theresa said...

Your webs are wonderful, what a great idea for the quilting - I love this quilt and have it on my list to make someday. Love the polka dot sheets for the backing.

Jean(ie) said...

I'd stick with the orange on the stars. That way the webs on the black show up and the stars are the star of the quilt. Makes sense?

Clever, using the taupe to tone down a color. I have to remember that.

Lori said...

The web quilting is perfect! And I love the backing!!

Esther said...

Great webs, and I love the orange color on the black. I have some thread from Metro, and same thing, once I take the sticker off so I can use it, I loose the color number. I have started writing the number on the spool with sharpie. I am so impressed you dyed your own fabric. Excellent idea to tone down the bright orange. Clever girl.

Createology said...

Clever girl you are with those spider webs stitched onto the quilt. Smart girl you are to buy those sheets and then use the fabric. The dye really mellows the colors. Happy Haunting Halloween and Lots of Treats...

Carrie P. said...

wow! Brandie,your quilt is awesome. congrats on the finish. the spider web quilting is perfect.