Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Not Pebbles, Eggs

The first thing I did was make a shape, kind of like the top of an old-fashioned bird cage. Then I marked it all around the outer border.
By the time I got done with sewing on the blue line, I was all warmed up and ready. So I started doing eggs, not pebbles. Eggs are more appropriate than pebbles in this application, don't you think?
Than I started doing a curved cross-hatch.
Now they kind of look like seed pods, but I'm not removing it. I just learn what works and what doesn't. I was trying to make that outer border less flashy and more toned down.
I like they way it looks on the back, just not sure about the front.
I also quilted way more lines than necessary. I just wanted to have enough before I trim it down. It isn't suppose to measure more than 30 inches. Right now it measures at 35 inches.
I only completed two sides yesterday. But I'm still within my own time restraints. I'll get it done by this weekend, which is my goal.
Today I'll finish the other two sides and than comes the hard part, finding binding. Remember I was suppose to use 4 of their 6 fabrics. Well I used 5 so I'm good. I could only use 2 of my own fabrics, I only used 1, the branch fabric. But my question is, does the backing count? Because I used a left-over scrap, that I'm glad to see gone. I called and asked and was told by the representative "I'm pretty sure it doesn't count". She didn't make me feel all that confident. So my question to you is, do you think the backing counts as one of your own fabrics?
Inquiring quilter (say that three times fast!)

Take care, Brandie

4 comments:

Lori said...

Your "eggs" look good Brandie!! I don't know what to tell you about the backing. I'm sure you aren't the only one that has asked this question.

Jean(ie) said...

wow... I can't wait until it's completely unveiled!

Anita said...

It looks amazing, I think the "seed pods" are really appropriate myself. I like them.
We have a contest of sorts going on at my work and we give them four one yard cuts of fabric, the rules are that they have to use 80% of the fabric on the FRONT of the quilt, backings don't count because you don't see them. I think that makes more sense myself but I can't say for yours.

M and M plus 3 said...

Brandie, your curved cross hatch, did you use a ruler? I seen on Karen McTavish's website (I'm thinking) she has a book and rulers. I was wondering how you done yours. Oh and it looks so well done by the way!