Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people. Eleanor Roosevelt

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Ball Gown

After several months having a temper tantrum, I've decided to come back to blog land. I am coming back with a fresh mind and a new layout. Hoping that after all this time I won't remember what I had my tantrum about.
I feel as if I'm learning something new and you can learn with me. Assuming anyone is still looking for me.

During my absence I have keep my hands busy. I'm just not made to be uncreative. My spirit thrives on the creative process. Whether it be fabric, paint, plants or wood. My hands were not idle. But my mind may not remember all the project or quilts! This is yet another reason to return to blog land. I need a journal to remember and the blog is a good fit for me.

So without more boring nonsense, lets get to the fun stuff, the creative fun stuff.
More often than not, Spring has becoming my dressmaking season. This year I have yet another Gold Nugget Queen in the making. I think I'm getting a reputation! Of course now that I've said that, no one will call me next year.
Anyhow, this year the Queen contestant wanted a fancy ball gown. My first dress, many years ago, was a cobalt blue taffeta ball gown for my cousin.
Those of you who have been with me for awhile know that the last few dresses have been cotton day dresses. I have to say, the cotton is sew much easier to work with. At least it doesn't bother me as much. I'm so afraid of ruining this beautiful taffeta, really I mean the cats. Yes, I still have cats and I love them all, even when they leave fur on all my fabric.
I wanted to document how strange an 1840 bodice pattern is.
There is a split seam down the middle of the bodice. I find that strange compared to todays patterns, which is why I took the picture.
The upside-down W is the front bodice, followed by the side than the back bodice piece. One side.
I layer my bodices with a denim or in this case a duck-cloth. This gives the bodice body (not trying to be funny).
Lovely green taffeta paired with a soft peach piping, pearls and lace. There will be lots of lace!
Very, very fragile antique tulle lace on the sleeve. Accordion pleated chiffon lace at the neckline and sleeve cuffs. All Ebay finds (I'm addicted!).
This last picture is the mock-up of the end result (hopefully).
Layers of lace and antique pearl buttons (Thank You Grandma!).
Lexi, loves it so far and she seems quite pleased. And I've been enjoying the experience, because I love the challenge, even when I complain. It'll keep me young, Right?

Thanks for joining me and listening to my adventures.
Take care,
Brandie

20 comments:

Lynette said...

Oh, cool! Another incredible dress to watch as it emerges. :D You're right - that bodice pattern is boggling.

Janet said...

Hey, nice to see you! Dress bodice is gorgeous. How're Dorian and the others?

Carla said...

Well hello there! Long time no chit chat. I've missed seeing your creations and hearing about your rescue animals. The dress is amazing so far. So much work!

Lori said...

I was just thinking of you yesterday! I hope I didn't do or say anything to cause your blog departure.
The dress is amazing! That's quite a talent it takes to do that. It doesn't surprise me you are getting a reputation. :)

Jo said...

Wonderful new look and header Brandie, welcome back! Will be interested in this new change you have set up with comments since mine are bouncers.

Love the dress and saw your beautiful work on the bodice up close the other night. Will be fun to follow you here again. Yea!

Jean(ie) said...

GORGEOUS,! Glad you're back.

glassbylindi.blogspot.com said...

I am so glad you're back! I missed you! Nice gown...
D.G. L

Angie said...

Wow, this is gorgeous!!

Connie said...

Looks beautiful

Library Gal Quilts said...

Hey Brandy! I have missed you and your creativity and your cats! I love the dress and your talent! My own blog has very few posts lately but I still plug away. I love Instagram now and it isn't as thorough of a story but it is fun! You may want to join in the daily and sometimes hourly visual diary of quilters there! Xo Pam

Brandie said...

This is my favorite dress yet! It has been fun coming up ideas to make it more sectacular!
Soon I'll be post the finished dress in all its glory.

Brandie said...

Janet, it's lovely to hear from you too! I've been away too long and I've missed all of you.
Dorian is doing great! He's King around here. I think he secretly likes having a bunch of little siblings. He's learn to act more like a cat and less like a dog.

Brandie said...

Thank you very much Carla!

Brandie said...

Of course not Lori! I just wish someone knew how to make blogger work the way it use to. I still don't recieve all these comments to my email. I'm still looking to fix it if anyone has any ideas.

Brandie said...

Thank you Jo!
Still no answers and here is the only place I see your comments. I forgot I had it set to be authorized before showing any comments.

Brandie said...

Thank you Jeanie!

Brandie said...

Glad to be back you dirty girl Lindi! Lol

Brandie said...

Thank you very much Angie! It's a lot of work but it's a fun journey.

Brandie said...

Thank you so much Connie!

Brandie said...

Thanks Pam, I'll look into it. Check for me there if I go missing in action again!